A laser cutter is a type of equipment that uses a laser beam to cut metals like steel, brass, aluminum, iron, and many other alloys and materials like acrylic, plastics, leather, chipboard, polyester, PVC, Teflon, etc. into desired shapes and profiles. They are mostly found in industrial manufacturing units, home business setups, and colleges and universities to teach their functionality to students.
Main parts of a laser cutting machine
A quality laser cutter mainly composes of the following parts:
- CNC controller and software system
- Laser unit (generator, laser tube, head, lens, etc.)
- Machine body
- Water chiller
- Dust extractor
How does a laser cutter work?
Laser cutting is done using a high-powered laser beam that is discharged at a specific set frequency and pulse width to cut the targeted material. This thermal separation process uses a high-powered laser beam to heat the surface of the material to the level that it melts to the point that cuts it. The laser beam controlled by the computer follows the selected drawing to cut the material into the perfect desired profile. The entire trajectory followed, and the other parameters like laser power, gas pressures, and speed are controlled by the CNC system of the machine. The laser at different powers cuts different materials.
Basic steps to operate a laser cutting machine
Let us share with you the basic steps that are required to operate a laser cutting machine:
- Fix the material to be cut at the workbench.
- Set the parameters as per the material type and thickness.
- Check intactness of lens and nozzle.
- Adjust cutting head.
- Calibrate cutting head sensor.
- Check to eject gas nozzle.
- Set the program to be followed by the CNC controller.
- Move the cutting head to the starting point.
- Set the laser beam positioning.
- An expert operator should always be present near the machine to cater to any emergency.
- When cutting on the first workpiece, check if the material is cutting fine and check the precision.
- Follow the general safety rules mentioned by the machine manufacturer.
- Start the laser cutting by strictly following the guidelines shared to operate the machine.
These are the basic steps to operate a laser cutting machine. However, a person who operates it should learn its functioning completely and read the manufacturer’s manual to fully know all the basics related to the machine.
Types of laser cutters
There are many types of laser cutters.
- CO2 laser cutting machine
- Fiber laser cutting machine
- Laser plastic cutting machine
- Laser foam cutting machine
- Laser acrylic cutting machine
- Laser fabric cutting machine
- Laser wood cutting machine
- Laser metal cutting machine
There are other types as well.
What are the advantages of laser cutting?
Laser cutting has many advantages. Let us review these to let you know about this amazing technique:
High precision cutting
You can accurately cut the needed material with the laser cutter. It cuts any geometry with great precision.
The cutting results from the laser cutting machine are very fine.
The machine cuts the material at a very fast speed as compared to the other traditional cutting machines.
There is less waste as the laser beam moves exactly on the profile marks where the cut needs to be placed.
Low machining cost
Laser cutting machine has a low machining cost as everything is CNC controlled.
Cuts many materials
No other machine or technology is suitable for cutting so many types of materials with high accuracy.
The above amazing laser cutting technology advantages highlight the reason due to which this technique has become popular in big industrial manufacturing units, and even small businesses are growing by using this cutting technology.